FAQ: What is the difference between groups with update capabilities and groups without update capabilities in ArcGIS Online?
What is the difference between groups with update capabilities and groups without update capabilities in ArcGIS Online?
Both types of groups have a different administration process. An administrator of a group with update capabilities cannot view the group and its items if the 'Who can contribute content to the group' option is set to 'Only group owners and managers'. On the other hand, the administrator of a group without update capabilities can access and share all items in the group.
Note: The access and update options may not display if the group is the only group in the organization with update capabilities, or if the settings only allow group owners and managers to contribute to the group.
In ArcGIS Online, when creating a group, it is possible to restrict members of the group from updating items using the 'What items in the group can its members update?' option. Selecting the 'Only their own items' option creates a group without update capabilities, and the 'All items (group membership is limited to the organization)' option creates a group with update capabilities.
To share items from a member of the organization in a group with update capabilities in ArcGIS Online,use one of the options below:
Note: The following actions require administrative privileges.
- Change the option, 'Who can contribute content to the group?' to 'Group members' in Group Settings. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Create groups for more information.
- Reassign the items from the member to the administrator, and share the items to the group. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Manage items for a specific member and ArcGIS Online: Share items for more information.
- ArcGIS Online: What's new
- ArcGIS Online: User types, roles, and privileges
- ArcGIS Blog: Using ArcGIS Online Groups Effectively
- ArcGIS Blog: Enable colleagues to update your maps and apps
- ArcGIS Blog: The Case of the Missing Group
- Error: Unable to change the owner of items that are shared to a group with the update capability
Last Published: 10/13/2019
Article ID: 000021088