Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect
When opening or creating a project or map document in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap, the following error message is returned:
Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
This issue occurs due to the machine's graphics card configuration.
- The graphics card driver is out-of-date.
- There are conflicting graphics cards in the machine.
- If using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to connect to a remote machine, there could be a conflict between the video card specified by the RDP connection, and the one used by ArcMap on the remote machine. RDP is connecting by default to a built-in Intel video card, and not the video card used by ArcMap.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, either:
- Update the graphics card driver, or
- Refer to Problem: Graphics card conflict may cause ArcMap to crash to resolve the issue of conflicting graphics cards, or
- Follow the solution described in Problem: LoadLibrary fails to load with error 126 or error 87 when working remotely over RDP