FAQ: Is it possible to generate ZIP+4 data using ArcGIS Business Analyst?
Is it possible to generate ZIP+4 data using ArcGIS Business Analyst?
ZIP+4 data contains the first 5-digit ZIP code and an additional 4-digit extension that adds accuracy to the address of a location. ArcGIS Business Analyst does not support the 4-digit extension when generating ZIP data and therefore, is unable to generate ZIP+4 data. However, the data can be created in ArcMap and used in ArcGIS Business Analyst by following the steps below.
- In ArcMap, geocode a table of addresses using the desired address locator, such as the US Postal Local Composite Locator. This generates a new layer containing a field with ZIP codes. Rename the field to ZIPCode.
- Use the Reverse Geocode tool, specifying the USA_PostalEXT locator to geocode the result obtained in Step 1. This determines whether a point falls in or is closest to the PostalExt boundary (within the search extent specified in the tool). Reverse geocoding outputs a new point layer with the additional 4-digit extension included as a field. Rename the field to 4Ext.
- Add a new field in the attribute table.
- Use the Field Calculator to combine the ZIPCode and 4Ext fields to create a 9-digit ZIP field.
c. Type the following expression in the code block.
- Esri Blog: Geocoding tips for ZIP+4 data
- ArcGIS for Desktop: Adding data to your map
- How To: Use ArcMap to concatenate fields in a table