How To: Convert shapefiles to KML
KML is an XML-based format for storing geographic data and associated content. KML files have either a .kml extension, or a .kmz extension for compressed KML files. Refer to the following web help document, What is KML?, for more information about KML.
Instructions provided describe how to convert shapefiles to a KML file.
- Start ArcMap.
- Click the Geoprocessing tab, and click ArcToolbox to open the ArcToolbox window.
Note: Ensure the shapefile is added to the map before running the tool. The tool automatically detects the file available in the map layer.
- In ArcToolbox, scroll down to Conversion Tools and click to expand the toolbox.
- Expand To KML.
- To open the conversion tool window, double-click Layer To KML for an individual shapefile, or double-click Map To KML for compressed KML files.
- Under the Layer drop-down box, select the desired shapefile, or drag and drop the desired shapefile into the box.
Note: The tool converts the shapefile to KMZ format, which is a compressed version of the KML file. The KML file can be extracted from the KMZ file using a file extractor, for example WinZip or WinRAR.
- In Output File, specify the location to store the KMZ file.
- Click OK.
Last Published: 5/22/2018
Article ID: 000012399
Software: ArcMap 10.3.1, 10.3