How To: Install and activate ArcGIS for Desktop evaluation software
Instructions provided describe the steps to install ArcGIS for Desktop evaluation software and activate the software license.
Before installing ArcGIS for Desktop, check the system requirements to make sure the computer has the necessary hardware and software configuration required for the trial software. A link to this documentation is provided in the Related Information section below.
- Activate the authorization code.
- Visit the ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial page at Esri.com to begin the process of activating and downloading ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software.
- Log in using an Esri Global Account; sign-up for a new Esri Global Account if necessary.
- Enter the authorization code and click Activate ArcGIS.
- If it is necessary to download ArcGIS for Desktop, proceed to step 4.
- If ArcGIS for Desktop software is provided by an instructor or license administrator, or is installed from a network server, proceed to step 8.
- Click ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop. Download and install ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial version.
Note: If necessary, download the ArcGIS Uninstall Utility and uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS for Desktop or Server. The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS for Desktop or ArcGIS for Server installed. It's OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer installed.
- If necessary, install the Microsoft .NET Framework (version 3.5 Service Pack 1 or higher).
- Determine the location for the ArcGIS for Desktop software and click the Download button. Tutorial Data can also be downloaded if desired.
- Double-click the file ArcGIS_Desktop_101_129796_2.exe to extract the installation files.
- Locate and run Setup.exe to install ArcGIS for Desktop. The 'Complete' installation is recommended.
- After the files are installed, the Authorization Wizard opens and provides a prompt to choose a product to authorize; select 'ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Single Use)' and click Continue.
- The Authorization Wizard prompts for an authorization code; enter the activated code. Follow the prompts to authorize the software and make it ready for use.
Note: Leave the default option for the software extensions selected; they are authorized automatically.
Support for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Trial is available on the Trial Software Help and Resources page.