How To: Update the maximum record count for feature services in ArcGIS Online
The maxRecordCount property is used to define how many features can be accessed when querying data in a hosted feature service, or when creating a local copy of a hosted feature service for use with ArcMap. The default maxRecordCount value is 1000.
A feature service's maximum number of records in the REST endpoint can be changed by increasing the maxRecordCount value.
Note: The number of features displayed in a web map is no longer determined by the maxRecordCount. This article describes how to increase maxRecordCount for querying from REST or for creating a local copy of a service in ArcMap.
The instructions provided describe how to update or change the maximum number of records of feature services in the REST endpoint in ArcGIS Online.
Note: Users may have to visit each layer to update the parameter if there are multiple layers in the service.
Note: Ensure the feature service is not shared publicly with everyone before using this workflow.
- Log in to www.arcgis.com with administrator credentials.
- Click My Content, and navigate to the intended feature service. Open the feature service.
Note: If the error "There are no services available" is returned when visiting the ArcGIS REST Administrator Directory, the hosted feature service is shared with 'Everyone' (public).
- In the item details page of the feature service, click Service URL for the layer in the feature service that needs to be updated. The ArcGIS REST Services Directory page opens.
- Modify the URL to the one displayed below:
- Insert "admin" between "rest" and "services"
- Replace "/" between the service name and FeatureServer to "."
- Please note that the number at the end of the URL may or may not be a zero.
- Press Enter to access the new page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Update Definition.
- Change the value of the lastEditDate key to null.
- Search for the maxRecordCount parameter (Press Ctrl+F and search for maxRecordCount). Change the value to the desired number of records.
- Click Update Layer Definition.
In this example, a maximum of 2000 features can now be returned when querying from REST or when creating a local copy of the service in ArcMap.
- ArcGIS REST API: Update Definition (Feature Service)
- ArcGIS REST API: Update Definition (Feature Layer)
- FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online?
- Error: Layer did not draw completely because there are too many features to display