How To: Update the maximum record count for feature services in ArcGIS Online
The maxRecordCount property is used to define how many features can be accessed when querying data in a hosted feature service, or when creating a local copy of a hosted feature service for use with ArcMap. The default maxRecordCount value is 1000.
A feature service's maximum number of records in the REST endpoint can be changed by increasing the maxRecordCount value.
Note: The number of features displayed in a web map is no longer determined by the maxRecordCount. This article describes how to increase maxRecordCount for querying from REST or for creating a local copy of a service in ArcMap.
The instructions provided describe how to update or change the maximum number of records of feature services in the REST endpoint in ArcGIS Online.
Note: It may be necessary to visit each layer to update the parameter if there are multiple layers in the service.
Ensure the feature service is not shared publicly with everyone before using this workflow.
- Log in to www.arcgis.com with administrator credentials.
- Click My Content, and navigate to the intended feature service. Open the feature service.
Note: If the error "There are no services available" is returned when visiting the ArcGIS REST Administrator Directory, the hosted feature service is shared with 'Everyone' (public).
- In the item details page of the feature service, click Service URL for the layer to be updated in the feature service. The ArcGIS REST Services Directory page opens.
- Modify the URL to the one displayed below:
- Insert "admin" between "rest" and "services".
- Please note that the number at the end of the URL may or may not be a zero.
- Press Enter to access the new page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Update Definition.
- Change the value of the lastEditDate key to null.
- Search for the maxRecordCount parameter (Press Ctrl+F and search for maxRecordCount). Change the value to the desired number of records.
- Click Update Layer Definition.
In this example, a maximum of 2000 features can now be returned when querying from REST or when creating a local copy of the service in ArcMap.
- ArcGIS REST API: Update Definition (Feature Service)
- ArcGIS REST API: Update Definition (Feature Layer)
- FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online?
- Error: Layer did not draw completely because there are too many features to display