How To: Convert a point feature class to a polygon feature class
Instructions provided describe how to convert a point feature class to a polygon feature class.
There are several methods that can be used to accomplish this:
If the points represent polygon boundaries
Use the Points To Line tool with the 'Close Line' option checked to ensure every output line feature's end point matches up with its start point, followed by the Feature To Polygon tool to connect the points to create a polygon.
- In ArcMap, click the Geoprocessing tab or open the ArcToolbox window, and navigate to Data Management Tools > Features.
- Double-click the Points To Line tool.
- Specify the desired point feature class under Input Features.
- Click OK.
- Double-click the Feature To Polygon tool.
Note: The Feature To Polygon tool is available only for ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced.
- Specify the newly formed lines under Input Features to convert it into a polygon, and click OK.
If the points are in a cluster area
Use the Aggregate Points tool to create a polygon representing the cluster area.
Note: The Aggregate Points tool is available only for ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced.
- In ArcMap, click the Geoprocessing tab or open the ArcToolbox window, and navigate to Cartography Tools > Generalization.
- Double-click the Aggregate Points tool to convert the points to polygons, and click OK.
- ArcGIS Help: Points To Line (Data Management)
- ArcGIS Help: Feature To Polygon (Data Management)
- ArcGIS Help: Aggregate Points (Cartography)