How To: Add the World Geocoding Service to ArcMap for batch geocoding
Instructions provided describe how to add the World Geocoding Service to ArcMap for batch geocoding.
Starting at ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 SP1, the default locator options for geocoding changed. The only locators that appear in the default address locators (populated from the DefaultLocators.xml file) after the installation of SP1 are the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service and the MGRS Military Grid Reference System locator. The locators pointing to the geocoding services are no longer included in the DefaultLocators.xml file after installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1. The DefaultLocators.xml file is responsible for populating the list of locators seen in the Geocoding toolbar and the Locations tab of the Find tool.
Note: This is expected behavior after installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1.
The World Geocoding Service offers quick access for finding addresses or places interactively without requiring an ArcGIS Online for organizations subscription. The service is added to your map as a default locator and is available on the Geocoding toolbar or the Find dialog box.
For geocoding a table of addresses, rematching a geocoded feature class, and reverse geocoding a feature class, the service operates under a credit-based usage model that allows you to pay only for what you use. If you don't already have a subscription, you can purchase one or request a free 30-day trial.
Besides using the World Geocoding Service for address matching functions, you may also obtain ready-to-use locators from StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS. ArcGIS Desktop 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 (the last release) also include a Data and Maps DVD that provides a set of basic locators for North America.
The legacy geocoding services that were available by default via a GIS Server connection through ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcMap were effectively retired 2/5/2014.
Warning: Signing into ArcGIS Online through ArcMap with your ArcGIS Online Organizational Subscription credentials will not grant you access to use the World Geocoding Service for batch geocoding. You must use the following steps.
- Open the Address Locator Manager.
- Click Customize.
- Highlight Toolbars.
- Select Gecocoding from the toolbar menu.
- Expand the drop-down menu on the left.
- Click <Manage Address Locators...> at the bottom of the menu.
- In the Address Locator Manager dialog box, click Add.
- In the 'Look in' drop-down menu of the Add Address Locator dialog box, select GIS Servers.
- Select Add ArcGIS Server, and click Add.
- In the Add ArcGIS Server wizard, select 'Use GIS Services' and click Next.
- Select Internet. Enter the server URL below. In the Authentication section, add your ArcGIS Online Organizational Subscription credentials:
- Click Finish.
Note: For ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and higher, there is no Internet option.
- In the Add Address Locator dialog box, select 'arcgis on geocode.arcgis.com (user)' from the list of GIS Servers, and click Add.
- Select the World Geocode Service. Click Add.
- Click Close.
- Overview of the World Geocoding Service
- ArcGIS Online Pricing
- ArcGIS Online Geocoding Services
- ArcGIS Online Service Credits Overview
- World Geocoding in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 SP1