How To: Retain attribute domains during export
During data export, attribute domains are lost when exporting to shapefile or feature class format. This procedure describes the process of exporting the data as an XML workspace or recordset document, which allows the attribute domains to be retained throughout the export process.
Follow these steps to export data as an XML Workspace document.
- In the Catalog window or ArcCatalog, right-click the table, feature class, feature dataset, or geodatabase to be exported, and click Export > XML Workspace Document.
Note: Fully expand the geodatabase, etc. to be exported if the XML Workspace Document option is not activated.
- To export a blank schema, click Schema Only and designate the name and workspace for the output. If the metadata is to be included, ensure that Export Metadata is checked.
- Click Next to review the structure of the exported schema. Uncheck boxes of feature classes, tables, or relationship classes to be excluded from the export.
- Click Summary to review the contents of the export.
- Click Finish to complete the export process.