Error: Failed to add one of the specified fields. The field is not nullable
In some instances, when adding a field to a feature class or table with a field property 'Allow NULL values = No', the following error is returned:
Error: Failed to add one of the specified fields. The field is not nullable.
The feature class or table contains at least one feature or row. Fields with 'Allow NULL values = No' can only be added to empty feature classes or tables.
Solution or Workaround
The instructions provided describe a solution for this error by re-creating a new feature class or table.
- In the Catalog pane, right-click the geodatabase > New > Feature Class.
- In the New Feature Class dialog box, set the Name and select the correct Type for the feature class, as well as the coordinate system.
- Click the Next button until the table of Field Name and Data Type appear, and click the Import button.
- In the Browse for table/feature class dialog box, select the desired feature class to add, and click Add.
- Select Field Name in the table. In the New Feature Class dialog box, set Allow Null values to No, and click Finish.
- In the Catalog pane, right-click the new feature class created and select Load > Load Data.
- In the Simple Data Loader dialog box, browse to the original feature class in the Input data, and click Add > Next > Next > Next > Next > Finish.