How To: Check Out/In data from ArcMap to ArcPad for editing
The Get Data For ArcPad wizard allows the user to extract data from a personal geodatabase (PGDB) in a map document into a check-out folder that can then be uploaded to a mobile device and used in ArcPad.
The Check In Edits From ArcPad tool allows updating into the geodatabase with the field edits that were made using ArcPad.
Instructions provided describe how to successfully check out data from ArcMap to ArcPad, and vice versa.
- Start ArcMap.
- Click the Add Data button to add the personal geodatabase (PGDB) feature class into ArcMap from its location (\<databasename>.mdb).
- Zoom in to the particular display extent that is going to be used in ArcPad.
- Using the ArcPad toolbar in ArcMap, click the Get Data For ArcPad 7 tool.
- Check the layers to extract features from. This window allows users to select any layer from the .mxd including layers that cannot be edited. Click Next.
- Select a database from the Database drop-down list. Editable data can only come from one database per transaction. Check the desired layers to check out for editing. Click Next.
- For this test, enable 'The current display extent' radio button. Create a specific name for the folder used to store this data; for example, Test1.
- Using the Browse button, specify the location of where this folder is to be stored; for example, C:\Temp.
This folder must exist at the same location on disk with the same name as specified above to properly check in edits.
- It is optional whether or not to create an ArcPad (.apm) map file. Click Finish. An 'Operation successful' dialog box that includes a basic report of the transaction should display. Click OK.
- When prompted to allow Microsoft transfer data automatically to connected device, select No and perform this process manually. See steps 12 -15 below. Close ArcMap.
- Open two Windows Explorer windows. On the Windows taskbar, right-click Start > select Explore.
- In the first Windows Explorer window, navigate to the C:\Temp directory (or the directory used in step 8 above). In the second Windows Explorer window, navigate to the Mobile Device directory > My Windows Mobile-Based Device path.
- Using the Edit menu in Windows Explorer, Copy and Paste the Test1 folder from the C:\Temp directory to the Mobile Device\My Windows Mobile-Based Device directory.
- Next, open ArcPad on the mobile device.
- Use the AddData button to add the shapefile (former PGDB feature class - step 2 above) into ArcPad.
- Start editing in ArcPad. After editing is completed, save the edits by stopping the edit session and saving the .apm file. Exit ArcPad by expanding the Folder icon menu > click Exit.
- After editing is completed in ArcPad and the data is brought back into ArcMap, Copy and Paste the Test1 folder from the Mobile Device\My Windows Mobile-Based Device directory to the C:\Temp directory. This is a reversal of the previous process described in step 13.
- Re-open ArcMap and add the PGDB feature class into ArcMap from \<databasename>.mdb (step 2 above).
- Select Start Editing from the Editor toolbar.
- The Check In Edits From ArcPad tool should now be enabled on the ArcPad toolbar in ArcMap; select the Check In Edits From ArcPad tool to display the Check In Edits From ArcPad window.
- Check the check box for PGDB feature class in the Check In Edits from ArcPad window.
- Click the 'Check in' button. Select Yes when prompted, 'Are you sure you want to check in the selected item(s)?'
- A message should display, stating 'Operation Successful' or 'Check In Complete'.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000009343
Software: ArcPad 7.0.1, 7.0