Problem: Default marker symbols are corrupt after ArcView GIS 3.3 is installed on Windows 2003 Server
The default marker symbol ESRI fonts do not register correctly when ArcView GIS 3.3 is installed on Windows 2003 Server.
Warning: ArcView GIS 3.3 is untested and not supported on the Windows 2003 Server operating system.
The ESRI fonts are incorrectly named in the registry during the installation of the application under the following registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontsThe fonts are named with the suffix .fot instead of .ttf.
Solution or Workaround
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Navigate to Start > Run, type regedit and click OK.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.
- Right-click ESRI Cartography (TrueType) and select Modify.
- Change the file suffix to .ttf in the Value data box and click OK.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the remaining ESRI fonts:
"ESRI Environmental & Icons (TrueType)"="esri_2.fot" "ESRI Oil, Gas, & Water (TrueType)"="esri_4.fot" "ESRI Geology (TrueType)"="esri_7.fot" "ESRI Crime Analysis (TrueType)"="esri_8.fot" "ESRI Transportation & Civic (TrueType)"="esri_9.fot" "ESRI District 4 (TrueType)"="esri_155.fot" "ESRI Geometric Symbols (TrueType)"="esri_3.fot" "ESRI Weather (TrueType)"="esri_5.fot" "ESRI Transportation & Municipal (TrueType)"="esri_6.fot"
- Navigate to File > Exit to close the Registry Editor.