How To: Import an image as a style in ArcMap
ArcMap allows symbolizing features using a custom image. This article shows how to import an image to ArcMap as a picture marker symbol and use the image as a style in the map.
- Start ArcMap with a new empty map and click Customize > Style Manager.
Note: Creating a personal style for custom symbols is recommended. To create a new style, refer to ArcMap Help: Creating new styles.
- In the Style Manager dialog box, click the newly created style. On the right side, under Name, the list of folders are displayed.
- Right-click the desired folder (for example, the Marker Symbol folder) to store the new symbol and select New > Marker Symbol.
- In the Symbol Property Editor dialog box, change the Type to Picture Marker Symbol, and click the Picture icon to import the image.
- If necessary, adjust the display of the picture to center it in the crosshairs in the Preview section. Make any further modifications such as Size, Color, Angle, etc., and click OK.
- Click Close to close the Style Manager dialog box.
- ArcMap Help: Creating marker symbols
- ArcGIS Blog: Pictures in ArcGIS symbols
- How To: Import an image as a style in ArcGIS Pro