How To: Install WebLogic 8.1 with J2SDK 1.4.2 for ArcIMS 9.0 on Windows
Instructions provided are for the installation and configuration of WebLogic 8.1 Server Platform using J2SDK 1.4.2 for ArcIMS on Windows.
Specific information for the installation of ArcIMS is included with the product's Install Guide.
Note: WebLogic possesses its own native servlet engine and does not require other third-party servlet engines. These instructions are for the WebLogic Platform Net Installer. Configuration steps outlined for ArcIMS, directory structures and dialog boxes vary from those for the WebLogic Server Package Installer.This installation requires the following software:
- A Windows based server
- Java 2 SDK Standard Edition Version 1.4.2
- WebLogic 8.1 Server
- ArcIMS 9.0 Installation CD
- Familiarity with certain Windows tasks is required to install and configure ArcIMS. For details, see Common Windows tasks when installing ArcIMS.
- For more information on the acronyms and terms used in this document, see the Glossary of terms used in ArcIMS Installation articles.
- Review and follow steps 1 and 2 from the ArcIMS Installation Guide on the DVD. These two steps ensure that the system meets the minimum requirements and assist in planning the ArcIMS site configuration. To open the ArcIMS Installation Guide, launch the DVD menu and click 'ArcIMS Installation Guide'.
ArcIMS 3.1, 4.0 or 4.0.1 must be uninstalled to install ArcIMS 9.0. The setup program for ArcIMS 9.0 on Windows will prompt for the removal of previously installed versions.
If ArcIMS components were distributed among several computers, it is recommended the uninstall program be manually run on each computer.
Warning: A supported Web server and Servlet Engine must be properly installed and configured before running the setup program for ArcIMS 9.0.
- Uninstall any unsupported versions of J2SDK/JRE, Web Server and Servlet Engine. Refer to the following technical article for further details:
How To: Uninstall ArcIMS-related third-party software on Windows.
- Install Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition Version 1.4.2.
- Click J2SDK 1.4.2 to download Sun Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, version 1.4.2.
- Click 'Download' in the SDK column for the Windows version.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Click Windows Offline Installation, the first option, to download j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586.exe.
- Run the program after it has finished downloading.
- Accept all of the installation program defaults, unless changes are required.
- Install WebLogic 8.1 Server.
- Run the BEA setup program to install WebLogic 8.1
- Click Next at the 'Welcome' dialog
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Specify an existing or create a new BEA Home Directory; for example, C:\bea.
- Specify the Typical installation type to install WebLogic Server, click Next.
- Accept the default directory, C:\bea\weblogic81, or select a different directory at the 'Choose Product Directory' dialog, and click Next.
- At the Installation Complete dialog, verify that the 'Install XML Spy' box is not checked. Then click Done to close the installer.
- Configure WebLogic 8.1 Server.
- CREATE A WEBLOGIC DOMAIN
- Launch the Configuration Wizard under Start > Programs > BEA WebLogic Platform 8.1.
- Click 'Create a new WebLogic configuration'.
- Select the 'Basic WebLogic Server Domain' option at the 'Select a Configuration Template' dialog. Click Next.
- Select the Custom configuration. Click Next.
- Change the Name * parameter to reflect the current server name at the 'Administration Server Configuration' dialog.
- Change the Server Listen Port to 80. Click Next.
- Select the Skip option for each dialog screen until the 'Configure Username and Password' dialog appears.
- Type a username and password for the administrator account. Click Next.
- Select Yes to Install the Administrative Server as a Windows service on the 'Windows Options' dialog. Click Next.
- Click Next until the 'Create WebLogic Configuration' dialog appears.
- Change the configuration name from 'mydomain' to 'esridomain'.
- Click Create and then Done.
- Click Run Again.
- CREATE THE DEFAULT WEB APPLICATION
- Click 'Add to an existing WebLogic configuration'.
- Select the WebLogic configuration directory just created to extend it. For example, C:\bea\user_projects\esridomain. Click Next.
- Check the box next to 'DefaultWebApp' at the 'Select a Configuration Extension' dialog and click Next.
- Select the Skip option for each dialog screen until the 'Creating WebLogic Configuration' dialog appears.
- Click Update.
- Click Done and then Exit.
- CREATE A WEBLOGIC DOMAIN
- Install ArcIMS 9.0 from the installation CD. Refer to the ArcIMS 9.0 Installation Guide, Step 3a.
- Run the ArcIMS Post Installation to configure ArcIMS 9.0. See also the ArcIMS 9.0 Installation Guide, Step 3b.
- Select Typical as the Post Installation option.
- On the dialog to select the Web site and Output directories, navigate to the following path: <Bea WebLogic Installation Directory>\user_projects\esridomain\apps\DefaultWebApp
- On the Web Server-Servlet Engine Configuration panel, select 'I will manually configure my Web server / servlet engine'.
- Click Finish.
- Configure WebLogic 8.1 for ArcIMS.
- CONFIGURE THE DOMAIN
- Navigate to <drive>:\bea\user_projects\esridomain\apps\DefaultWebApp\WEB-INF and create a folder called 'classes'.
- In a text editor, open the file web.xml, located in the WEB-INF directory. Add the following lines under <web-app>:
<servlet> <servlet-name>Esrimap</servlet-name> <servlet-class>com.esri.esrimap.Esrimap</servlet-class> </servlet> <servlet-mapping> <servlet-name>Esrimap</servlet-name> <url-pattern>/servlet/com.esri.esrimap.Esrimap/*</url-pattern> </servlet-mapping>In the <welcome-file-list> tag, insert:
- Save and close the file.
- CONFIGURE THE SERVLET CONNECTOR
- Copy the contents, except for the aimsservletconnector.war file, from the directory: <drive>:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcIMS\Connectors\Servlet to the newly created classes folder at: <drive>:\bea\user_projects\esridomain\apps\DefaultWebApp\WEB-INF\classes.
- In a text editor, from the classes folder, open the file Esrimap_prop.
- Edit the variable appservermachine=APPSMACHINE to reflect the machine name of the computer where the ArcIMS Application Server is installed.
- Save and close the file.
- Start the Web server by going to Start > Programs > BEA Weblogic Platform 8.1 > User Projects > esridomain > Start Server.
- In a Web browser, launch the WebLogic console by browsing to http://<localhost>/console.
- Enter the username and password when prompted.
- Expand 'Deployments' and then 'Web Application Modules' in the left panel.
- Click 'DefaultWebApp'.
- Click the Targets tab
- Check the box next to the server name and click Apply
- Click the Deploy tab
- Click the Deploy button under the Actions column.
Note: The Module Status column is listed as Active and the Status column is listed as Success
- Click the 'Configure Tab' then the 'Descriptor' tab below it.
- Check the 'Index Directory Enabled' box, then click Apply.
- Logout and close the console.
- Restart WebLogic in the Windows Services panel.
- CONFIGURE THE DOMAIN
- Verify that the ArcIMS installation was successful.
- Click Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcIMS > ArcIMS Diagnostics. The ArcIMS Diagnostics page displays.
- Verify the Web server protocol and Web server name are correct, including the domain and port number. The default is port 80.
- Test both components. The result for test 1 should be:
The result for test 2 should be:
Note: If these tests are successful, the ArcIMS Application Server and ArcIMS Servlet Connector are configured correctly. If an error message is received, select the error number in the drop-down list and click View. The error number and a description displays. Follow the instructions in the description to fix the problem and try the Diagnostics tool again.
- See the ArcIMS 9.0 Installation Guide, Step 5: 'Configure ArcIMS' to finish setting up ArcIMS.
- Configure ArcIMS Service Administrator with WebLogic 8.1 for ArcIMS 9.0 on Windows
- Configure ArcIMS Metadata Explorer with WebLogic 8.1 for ArcIMS 9.0 on Windows
- Java Viewer and Manager does not load successfully when using JRE 1.4.2_01 or later versions