Problem: Unable to export a large hosted feature service with attachments to a file geodatabase from a REST endpoint
When downloading a large hosted feature service with attachments from ArcGIS Online to a file geodatabase, a known issue may occur that results in an error, or in missing feature layer attachments. One possible workaround for the issue is documented in the following article, Problem: Unable to export a feature layer with attachments from ArcGIS Online for Organizations to a file geodatabase, which suggests creating a replica from the REST endpoint of the hosted feature service and downloading it as a zipped file geodatabase.
In some instances, attempting to export the hosted feature service with attachments from the REST endpoint fails, or results in missing feature layer attachments.
The following are two possible causes of the issue:
- The hosted feature service is too large. This is a known issue.
- The hosted feature service contains corrupt feature attachments.
Solution or Workaround
As a workaround, add the hosted feature service to ArcGIS Pro and use the Feature Class to Feature Class tool to export the hosted feature service to a file geodatabase.
Note: The ability to maintain attachments of features is supported by the Maintain Attachments environment, which was introduced in ArcGIS Pro 1.3. The Maintain Attachments environment setting allows enabling and disabling the transfer of attachments to the output table or feature class.
- Launch ArcGIS Pro, and sign in to ArcGIS Online.
- Add the hosted feature service to the map.
- Click the Analysis tab, and click Tools in the Geoprocessing group.
- In the Geoprocessing dialog box, select Toolboxes > Conversion Tools > To Geodatabase > Feature Class to Feature Class.
- In the Parameters section, select the hosted feature layer as the Input Features.
- Select a file geodatabase for the Output Location to store the exported feature class.
- Type a name for the Output Feature Class.
- Click Environments, and check Maintain Attachments to enable the transfer of attachments from the input features to the output features.
- Click Run.
- ArcGIS Pro: Add the feature service to the map
- How To: Retrieve attachments from a hosted feature service
- How To: Download a large hosted feature service with attachments from a REST endpoint
Last Published: 11/8/2017
Article ID: 000015786
Software: ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1, 1.4, 1.3.1, 1.3, 1.2