Problem: Unable to view a web map in Collector for ArcGIS
When attempting to access a web map in Collector for ArcGIS, the web map is not available to open, preventing users from viewing the map and performing data collection.
This issue occurs due to one of the following causes:
- The web map does not contain any editable feature services.
- The feature service in the web map is published with grouped layers.
- The web map is configured as 'Exploratory' when published from ArcGIS Pro.
- The web map has not been enabled for use in Collector for ArcGIS.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, select one of the options below to resolve the issue.
Enable editing on the feature service
To appear in Collector for ArcGIS, a web map must contain at least one editable layer. In ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS, check the Enable editing option in the feature service settings. For more information and steps to do this, refer to Problem: Collector for ArcGIS does not display web maps created in Portal for ArcGIS.
Ungroup layers before publishing to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS
In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, ungroup the layers before publishing as a hosted feature service. To do this, drag the layer out of the group layer and drop it beneath or above the group layer. Do this for each layer in the group and then remove the group layer. For more information on removing layers from a group layer, refer to Working with group layers.
Publish the layers to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS, and create a new web map containing the published feature service. To publish layers, refer to Publish from ArcMap or Publish from ArcGIS Pro.
Note: When publishing layers, enable the create, delete, query, sync, and update operations in the Feature Access (ArcMap) or Configuration (ArcGIS Pro) tab.
Select the Editable option when publishing a web map from ArcGIS Pro
When publishing a web map from ArcGIS Pro, change the configuration to Editable. The default configuration is set to Exploratory, which will publish services with editing disabled. Refer to Prepare the map for sharing for more information on configuration options.
Enable web map for use in Collector for ArcGIS
To appear in Collector for ArcGIS, a web map must have the setting for 'Use in Collector for ArcGIS' enabled. This setting is available for the web map if it includes an editable feature service. In ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS, check the Use in Collector for ArcGIS option in the web map settings. For more information and steps to do this, refer to Set map options for apps.
- Collector for ArcGIS: Data requirements
- Collector for ArcGIS: Create and share a map for data collection
- ArcGIS Online: Publish hosted feature layers
- Problem: Collector for ArcGIS does not display web maps created in Portal for ArcGIS
- Problem: Unable to display polygon and point feature services when working offline in Collector for ArcGIS (Windows)
- Problem: Unable to display KML data in Collector for ArcGIS
- FAQ: Does ArcGIS Online support publishing group layers as hosted feature services?