Problem: Unable to display KML data in Collector for ArcGIS
When opening a web map containing a Keyhole Markup Language (KML) layer in Collector for ArcGIS, the KML layer is not displayed in the map. The image below shows an ArcGIS Online web map containing a polygon feature layer and a KML layer displaying a polyline.
The following image shows the same web map opened in Collector for ArcGIS. Collector for ArcGIS only displays the polygon feature layer, but nor the KML layer.
This is a known limitation. Some platforms of Collector for ArcGIS may not support viewing KML data.
Solution or Workaround
As a workaround, use the KML To Layer tool in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to convert the KML file to a feature class. Publish the converted feature class to ArcGIS Online for use in the web map in Collector for ArcGIS.
- In ArcGIS Online, open the item details page of the KML file, and click Download to download the KML file to a local folder.
- In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, add the downloaded KML file to the map.
- Use the KML To Layer tool to convert the KML file to a feature class. This tool creates a new file geodatabase containing the converted feature class.
- In the KML To Layer dialog box or pane, select the KML file as the Input KML File.
- Set the location of the output feature class for the Output Location.
- Click OK or Run. The output feature class is added to the map.
- Disable the output feature class Z-values. For the steps to do this, refer to: How To: Remove Z- and/or M-values from a feature class
- Publish the file geodatabase containing the feature class to be hosted in ArcGIS Online. Refer to: Publish the contents of a file geodatabase
- Add the hosted feature layer to the ArcGIS Online web map that is used in Collector for ArcGIS. See the article, Search for layers
- Click Save to save the edits in the web map.
- In Collector for ArcGIS, reopen the web map. The feature layer converted from the KML layer is displayed in the map.
- ArcGIS Online: Item details
- Collector for ArcGIS: Supported data
- ArcGIS Online: KML
- ArcMap: KML To Layer
- ArcMap: Feature Class To Geodatabase
- ArcGIS Pro: KML To Layer
- ArcGIS Pro: Feature Class To Geodatabase