Problem: Coded value domains published from a zipped file geodatabase are not preserved in Collector for ArcGIS
In some instances, when working in Collector for ArcGIS using a hosted feature layer published from a zipped file geodatabase, the coded value domains of the feature layer are not preserved and the domains are not listed in the attribute field.
This is by design. Publishing a hosted feature layer from a zipped file geodatabase does not preserve the domains because when the feature layer is published, the domains remain in the file geodatabase and are not accessible from the hosted feature layer. For more information on publishing a hosted feature layer from a file geodatabase, refer to ArcGIS Online: Publish the contents of a file geodatabase.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve this issue, publish the feature layer containing the coded value domains as a service directly from ArcMap to ArcGIS Online. Once the hosted feature layer is published in ArcGIS Online, create and share the web map for data collection in Collector for ArcGIS.
The following image shows the preserved coded value domains in a hosted feature layer that is published directly from ArcMap in Collector for ArcGIS.
Note: The issue of domains not appearing in Collector for ArcGIS can be due to several reasons. Some of them are found in the technical article, Problem: Domains do not appear in Collector for ArcGIS after a hosted feature service is modified in ArcGIS Online where the article highlights that the domains are not preserved after modifying the hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online.
- ArcMap Help: A quick tour of attribute domains
- ArcGIS Online: Publish the contents of a file geodatabase
- Collector for ArcGIS: Prepare your data in ArcGIS Desktop
- Collector for ArcGIS: Create and share a map for data collection
- Problem: Unable to view domains for a feature layer enabled with coded value domains in a web map
- Problem: Domains do not appear in Collector for ArcGIS after a hosted feature service is modified in ArcGIS Online
- How To: Retain attribute domains of a hosted feature layer downloaded from ArcGIS Online