Error: Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer
Note: The content in this article pertains to ArcGIS versions 8.x and 9.x only. Later versions of ArcGIS may contain different functionality, as well as different names and locations for menus, commands and geoprocessing tools.
The following error displays when adding an ArcMap exported PNG as a picture into ArcMap:
"Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer".
This is a known issue with the ArcMap PNG exporter. PNG images over a certain size are corrupted.
Solution or Workaround
Select one of the following options below:
- Use a different export format.
- Decrease the size of the map and/or the output resolution.
- Raster Data Objects Error : Invalid raster dataset error when viewing JPEG images in ArcMap
- Invalid Raster dataset. Failed to insert picture element
- Invalid Raster Dataset/Raster data sources are broken in MXD
- Adding more than 20 JPEG2000 images to an ArcMap document causes errors
- Invalid raster dataset, failed to create raster layer - The selection cannot be displayed in the current view
- Raster Data Object Error - Unable to read standard header