How To: Sideload mobile map packages (MMPKs) and basemaps to ArcGIS Field Maps using Android 11
When using ArcGIS Field Maps on Android 11, you may not be able to access the device’s external storage when connecting it to a computer. The files stored externally on the microSD card still exist, they just won’t appear in the computer’s file explorer. This prevents copying (sideloading) mobile map packages (MMPKs) and basemaps to the device.
To sideload files to your device (and access existing files) using external storage on Android 11, you must connect the microSD card directly to the computer using a card reader. The full procedure is detailed below:
- Connect the microSD card to the computer using a card reader.
- Using the computer’s file explorer, navigate to the mappackages or basemaps folder using one of the following file paths:
- MMPK: \Android\data\com.esri.fieldmaps\files\mappackages
- Basemap: \Android\data\com.esri.fieldmaps\files\basemaps
Note: If either folder does not exist, you can manually create it.
- Copy the .mmpk file or basemap (.tpk, .tpkx, or .vtpk) to either the mappackages or basemaps folder.
- Remove the microSD card from the card reader and insert it back into your device.
The MMPK or basemap is ready to use in ArcGIS Field Maps.
Last Published: 12/31/2021
Article ID: 000026920