FAQ: What are the organizational and project roles and permissions in Site Scan for ArcGIS?
What are the organizational and project roles and permissions in Site Scan for ArcGIS?
The Site Scan for ArcGIS platform is organized around a hierarchical structure for managing, accessing, capturing, and sharing data. The three tiers in this hierarchy include:
- Organizations: Customers are designated an organization when they initially purchase their Site Scan for ArcGIS account. Site Scan organizations work like ArcGIS organizations; they provide a secure way for customers to manage, organize, and share data through their Site Scan account. Each organization can include an unlimited number of projects and flights, and store an unlimited amount of drone data. Members of an organization can collaborate by accessing, using, and sharing project and flight data to support their workflows.
- Projects: In Site Scan for ArcGIS, Projects organize the information drone operators require to complete drone workflows. A project specifies the map location, coordinate reference system, ground control points (GCPs), and design and engineering overlays that a drone operator uses to collect data as they conduct one or more drone flights. The project also contains records for each flight that is part of the project. By organizing this information, Projects help users track and monitor progress, capture consistent flight data, and apply the right GCPs and overlays across multiple flights.
- Flights: In Site Scan for ArcGIS, Flights refer to a record of all the data associated with a specific drone capture job. A flight contains records of flight planning parameters, such as the flight mode, flight path, altitude, camera angles, waypoints, and drone camera model and serial number. It also includes the map layers, GCPs, and overlays, and existing orthomosaics that will be used to help plan the drone flight and process flight data. Once the drone operator finishes capturing drone imagery, the raw images and resulting data are available as part of the flight.
Site Scan for ArcGIS user roles and privileges
Site Scan for ArcGIS uses a role-based system for administering user privileges. This system works similarly to the roles available in other ArcGIS apps, but has its own structure and associated terminology. There are a number of roles within a Site Scan for ArcGIS organization, each with a specific set of permissions.
A user role is assigned to members when they are invited to an organization. User roles offer different permissions based on the member’s needs and requirements. Organizations can grant privileges through a set of default user roles, or they can define custom roles with more fine-grained privileges.
There are three default user roles available in Site Scan for ArcGIS:
- Admin: Admins can assign and manage member accounts, user roles, projects, and data access privileges. Admins can have either an Access License or an Operator License. An Operator License is required to pilot drone flights and upload flight images to the cloud.
- Full Access: Full Access users can upload, download, edit, analyze, and process data within projects they’ve been assigned. Full Access users can have either an Access License or an Operator License, but an Operator License is required to pilot drone flights and upload flight images to the cloud.
- View-Only: View-Only users only have privileges to view data and make measurements on a given project. Measurements made by View-Only users are not saved. View-Only users do not need a Site Scan license; Admins can create an unlimited number of View-Only users.
The matrix below describes the specific breakdown of privileges available to each user role.
- Yes = Allowed with Access and Operator licenses
- O = Allowed with Operator license only
- N/A = Not allowed
|Invite people to organizations and projects||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Remove people from organizations and projects||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Promote and demote organization admin||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Promote and demote members||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|View members of an organization or project||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Manage organization and project permissions||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|View flight data||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Create, edit, and delete a project||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Create, edit, and delete a flight||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Upload flight data||O||O||N/A|
|Process flight data||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Upload overlays and ground control point data||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|View and analyze point clouds||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Create and delete measurements||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Create volume reports||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|View Fleet Management data||Yes||N/A||N/A|