How To: Embed a survey form and edit existing data from ArcGIS Survey123 in ArcGIS Dashboards
ArcGIS Dashboards supports embedded content in dashboard elements. The content may vary from images and videos to website pages and more. Embedding surveys from ArcGIS Survey123 combines the visual appeal and understanding of Dashboards with real-time data editing and response.
This article describes how to embed a survey form from ArcGIS Survey123 in ArcGIS Dashboards and customize the form to edit existing data.
Note: A survey created in ArcGIS Survey123 is saved as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online by default.
- Save the feature layer from ArcGIS Survey123 as a web map in ArcGIS Online.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online, and click Content.
- Open the survey feature layer, and select Open in Map Viewer.
- Click the Save icon to save the map as a web map.
- Create an ArcGIS Dashboards web app.
- Navigate to Content. Click Create app > Dashboards.
- On the Create new dashboard window, specify the Title and add Tags. Optionally, specify Summary.
- Specify a folder to save the web app under Folder, and click Create dashboard.
Note: Users are directed to the ArcGIS Dashboards page by default. Optionally, navigate to Content and click the created web app on the item description page. On the item description page, select Edit Dashboard.
- On the ArcGIS Dashboards page, add the Map element to the dashboard.
- Click the Add element icon and select Map.
- Select the web map created in Step 1, and specify the settings as required. Click Done.
- Add a survey form as an Embedded Content element.
- Click the Add element icon, and select Embedded Content.
- Copy and paste the survey form URL into the URL field. In this example, the following URL is used:
https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/<survey form ID>
- For Type, select Features. Select and click the required layer from the survey form. Click Done.
Note: Add other elements as desired to the dashboard layout. Refer to ArcGIS Dashboards: Dashboard layout for more information.
- Add the List element to allow interactive selection of features, and filter the embedded content based on the selected feature.
- Click the Add element icon and select List.
- Select the feature layer.
- Click the List tab. In the List options pane, under Line item template, click Fields and select GlobalID.
- Click the Actions tab and expand Filter.
- Click the Actions tab and select Add Action > Filter.
- Under Filter, toggle the embedded content (the survey form) on. Click Done.
Note: In ArcGIS Survey123 version 3.9 and onwards, the mode query parameter is changed by replacing the use of ObjectID with GlobalID as the means of setting feature records for updating or viewing. Refer to FAQ: What are the changes to Survey123 Web Form's Query Parameters for more information.
- Modify the reference URL in the URL field to enable edits on existing survey data in ArcGIS Dashboards.
- On the dashboard, click the Configure icon on the embedded survey form.
- On the Data tab, select Features for Type and select the layer to display in Layer.
- Modify the URL in the URL field. Refer to the Esri Community: Web form URL parameters blog post for more information. For example, the following URL is modified to extract related information according to the GlobalID and allows users to edit existing data through the ArcGIS Survey123 survey form.
- Click Done.
The image below shows the data in the survey match the features selected from the List element in ArcGIS Dashboards and can be edited in the embedded ArcGIS Survey123 form.
- ArcGIS Dashboards: Embedded content
- ArcGIS Survey123: Integrate with other apps
- Esri Community: Survey123 Tricks of the trade: Editing records in a web form
- Esri Community: Enhancing Embedded Content in Operations Dashboard
- Esri Community: Understanding Survey123's custom URL Scheme
Last Published: 7/5/2022
Article ID: 000021897
Software: ArcGIS Survey123 Website Current ArcGIS Online Current