Problem: Unable to edit annotation features in ArcGIS Pro
In some instances, when trying to select annotation features for editing in ArcGIS Pro, the features are not selectable.
The image below shows an annotation feature not selectable even though the Annotation pane is active.
The annotation features are created in ArcMap. Annotation features created in ArcMap are read-only and can only be displayed and queried in ArcGIS Pro. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Pro Help: Upgrade annotation feature classes.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve this issue, upgrade the annotation dataset using the Upgrade dataset tool.
Note: Once the dataset is upgraded, the annotation feature class is no longer usable in ArcMap. Feature classes linked to the annotation are read-only in ArcMap. To ensure the annotation feature class can be used in ArcMap, create a backup using the Feature Class To Geodatabase tool.
- In the Analysis tab, click the Tools icon in the Geoprocessing group to activate the Geoprocessing pane.
- Navigate to Toolboxes > Data Management Tools > Geodatabase Administration > Upgrade Dataset.
- Under Dataset to upgrade, select the annotation feature class.
- Click Run to execute the tool.
The image below shows the annotation feature is now selectable and can be edited, moved, rotated, and so on.
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Annotation
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Edit annotation text
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Create annotation features
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Move, rotate, or scale annotation
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Manage annotation feature classes
- Problem: Unable to edit a layer containing an annotation feature in ArcMap
- Problem: Unable to open an ArcGIS Pro annotation feature class in ArcMap