How To: Create discrete polygon features from an XY data table containing multipoint features
In some instances, polygon features created from an XY data table containing multipoint features with latitude and longitude may result in overlapping polygon features. The overlapping polygon features may be incomplete, and additional polygon features created. A polygon feature intersects another polygon feature, and splits the polygons into a few segments resulting in additional polygon features, as shown in the image below.
Below are the steps to create discrete polygon features from an XY data table containing multipoint features in ArcMap.
- Use the Excel To Table tool to convert the XY data in the Excel file to a table, and add the XY data as a layer in ArcMap. For more detailed steps, refer to Step 1 in How To: Create a polygon from an XY data table.
- Run the Minimum Bounding Geometry tool on the converted XY data layer to create discrete polygon features with a specified minimum bounding geometry based on the input features.
- Click the Geoprocessing tab and select ArcToolbox.
- In ArcToolbox, navigate to Data Management Tools > Features > Minimum Bounding Geometry.
- In the Minimum Bounding Geometry dialog box, click the Input Features drop-down arrow, and select the XY data layer. Set a name and location for the Output Feature Class.
- Set the Geometry Type (optional) to CONVEX_HULL.
Note: CONVEX_HULL geometry type forms a minimum boundary of a simple closed polygon based on the input features.
- Set the Group Option (optional) to LIST.
- In Group Field(s) Optional, check one or more fields if required to create the polygons, for example, Polygon Name. Click OK to view the polygons.
Note: The LIST Group Option groups the input features based on the values stored in the specified field. To use the LIST option, one or more group fields must be selected. Group Field(s) groups the features based on the field or fields in the input features.
The image below shows the discrete polygon features from the XY data table containing multipoint features.
- ArcMap Web Help: Minimum Bounding Geometry
- ArcMap Web Help: Adding x,y coordinate data as a layer
- ArcMap Web Help: Excel To Table
- Wiki.GIS.com: Convex hull
- How To: Create a polygon from an XY data table
- How To: Convert a point feature to a polygon feature class
- How To: Cut a multi-part polygon and merge the individual parts to create a new multi-part polygon within the same layer