Problem: Exporting a feature service with domains to a CSV file shows coded values instead of descriptions
After extracting a feature service with domains to a CSV file in ArcGIS Online, the coded values display instead of the descriptions in the extracted file.
This is a known limitation of the ArcGIS Online Extract Data tool. The CSV file does not retain the description of domains because domains are a property of a file geodatabase. When exporting to any data type outside of a file geodatabase, the domain descriptions do not get exported (unless the extraction tool being used has a parameter to export with the domain descriptions); instead, the coded value is exported to the output CSV file.
Solution or Workaround
Option 1: Extract the feature service to a file geodatabase, and use the Table To Excel conversion tool with the description option enabled.
2. Go to My Content, and select the intended feature service.
3. On the item details page, click the small arrow icon next to the layer to export, and select 'Export to FGDB'.
4. Download and extract the exported FGDB from the item details page (Open > Download, and extract the compressed folder to an appropriate location.)
5. Open ArcMap and add the exported feature class to a blank map document.
6. Export the attributes in ArcMap using the Table To Excel tool, and check the 'Use domain and subtype description' option to include the descriptions. The Table To Excel tool is located in ArcToolbox under Conversion Tools > Excel > Table To Excel. Refer to the ArcGIS Help page in the Related Information section for more details.
Option 2: Create a local copy for editing the feature service in ArcMap, and use the Table To Excel conversion tool with the description option enabled.
2. Sign in to the appropriate ArcGIS Online account (File > Sign In).
3. Add the appropriate feature service to the map from the Add Data button or the Catalog window.
4. Create a local copy for editing.
To create the local copy, ensure the Table Of Contents is in List By Drawing Order mode. Right-click the group layer > Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing.
5. Launch the Table To Excel tool and check the 'Use domain and subtype description' option to include the descriptions.
- ArcGIS Online Help: Use hosted web layers
- ArcGIS Online Help: Extract Data
- ArcGIS Help: A quick tour of attribute domains
- HowTo: Display coded value domains and subtype codes instead of descriptions
- Signing in to ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications
- Using ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications
- Making a local copy of a feature service for editing
- Table To Excel