How To: Create a PMF that opens in ArcMap
Published Map Files (PMF) can only be opened in ArcReader by default. Changing the options within the ArcGIS Publisher extension allows a PMF to be created so it also opens in ArcMap.
- In ArcMap, enable the Publisher extension.
- On the Publisher toolbar, click Publisher > Settings, and click the Application tab.
- Under ArcReader, uncheck the Open in ArcReader only check box.
- Under ArcGIS Applications, check the Unrestricted access to contents of Published Map check box.
- Click OK to close the Publisher Settings dialog box, and publish the map.
Note: The modified Publisher settings are only saved within the map document. New map documents will revert to the default settings.
The PMF can be opened from ArcMap through the File > Open dialog box. Change the Files of type option to either Published Maps (*.pmf) or All Supported Map Formats.
- ArcMap: An overview of Publisher
- ArcMap: Using Publisher settings
- ArcMap: Preparing maps for publishing