How To: Configure a PMF to open in ArcMap
Published Map Files (PMF) can only be opened in ArcReader by default. Changing the options within the ArcGIS Publisher extension allows a PMF to be created so it also opens in ArcMap.
- In ArcMap, enable the Publisher extension.
- On the Publisher toolbar, click Publisher > Settings, and click the Application tab.
- Under ArcReader, uncheck the Open in ArcReader only check box.
- Under ArcGIS Applications, check the Unrestricted access to contents of Published Map check box.
- Click OK to close the Publisher Settings dialog box, and publish the map.
Note: The modified Publisher settings are only saved within the map document. New map documents revert to the default settings, and require changing the settings each time before publishing the map documents.
The PMF can be opened from ArcMap through the File > Open dialog box. Change the Files of type option to Published Maps (*.pmf) or All Supported Map Formats.
- ArcMap: An overview of Publisher
- ArcMap: Using Publisher settings
- ArcMap: Preparing maps for publishing
Last Published: 7/11/2021
Article ID: 000011615
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.1 ArcGIS-ArcEditor 10 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 10 ArcGIS-ArcView 10 ArcReader 10.8.1, 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.1, 10