Bug: Left justify is ignored with legend items when the legend title is long
If the legend title is long, setting left justification for the legend title and legend items in the Legend Wizard is ignored. The legend title and items display as centered.
For example, the left justification option is selected in the Title Justification section to correspond with the rest of the legend:
However, the legend items still display centered and not left justified:
This is a known issue.
If the legend does not have a border, use the first bulleted procedure below to add a graphic text element instead of a legend title.
If the legend does have a border, use the second bulleted procedure below to convert the legend to graphics and shift the legend items or title as desired.
- To have the legend items left justified when using a long legend title without a legend border:
1. Double-click the legend in Layout view.
2. In the Legend Properties dialog box, click the Legend tab and delete the existing title.
3. Click OK.
4. Click the text button on the Drawing toolbar and enter the text above the legend as the legend title:
5. Place legend title text at the desired location.
- To have the legend items left justified when using a long legend title with a legend border:
1. Right-click on the legend and select 'Convert to Graphics'.
2. Right-click again on the legend graphic and select 'Ungroup'.
3. Select the legend items. Click and drag them or use the keyboard left/right arrow keys to move them to the desired location within the border.
4. Select all the legend graphic elements, including the title, items and border.
5. Right-click on the selected elements and select 'Group'.
Last Modified : 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000010313
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 10, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 10, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 10, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1