How To: Clip an overlaying polygon area from an underlying polygon
This article describes how to clip an overlaying polygon area from an underlying polygon's total area.
Follow the steps described below:
- Start an edit session from the Editor toolbar.
- Using the Edit tool, select the overlaying polygon.
- Click the Editor drop-down arrow and select Clip.
- Leave the buffer distance set at 0.00.
- Under When Clipping Features, select Discard the area that intersects and then click OK.
- Delete or move the overlaying polygon. The underlying polygon has the overlaying polygon area clipped from the feature.
To perform a similar workflow in ArcGIS Pro, refer to ArcGIS Pro: Clip features using other features.
Last Published: 7/15/2019
Article ID: 000008430
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3