How To: Transfer an ArcGIS Desktop license to a different machine
Often it is necessary to use a different machine (or more than one machine) for testing purposes, perhaps due to differing environments. Multiple machines cannot be used to authorize a Single Use license for ArcGIS Desktop software. However, this license can be moved from one machine to another.
The instructions below describe how to transfer an ArcGIS Desktop license from a physical machine (source machine) to a different machine (destination machine), including a virtual machine. The directions include deauthorizing the license on the source machine, locating the authorization number, and authorizing the destination machine.
Concurrent Use licenses:
- Deauthorize the license from the source machine. For more information, refer to the following article, How To: Perform online deauthorization of licenses for ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Engine.
- On the destination machine, log in to my.esri.com using an organization account and download ArcGIS License Manager; click My Organizations > Download > View Downloads (according to product name) > ArcGIS License Manager.
- Retrieve the authorization number from the same portal, under the Licensing section, or transfer the Provisioning file (PRVC) from the source machine to the destination machine.
- Authorize ArcGIS License Manager. For more information, refer to the following article, How To: Download and install Esri software from My Esri.
- Configure License Manager in ArcGIS Administrator on the newly authorized machine (destination machine). For more information, refer to the following web help document, Client machine setup—ArcGIS Administrator.
Single Use licenses:
- Deauthorize the license from the source machine. For more information, refer to the following article: How To: Perform online deauthorization of licenses for ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Engine.
- Authorize the license on the destination machine. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Desktop: Authorizing your software.
- ArcGIS for Desktop: About the license manager
- ArcGIS for Desktop: Installing the license manager
- License Manager Guide: License manager installation and startup