In ArcGIS Online, when attempting to add a member in an organization to a group, the following error message is returned:
Error adding members.
The following members could not be added to this group. They may not have the privileges needed to join the group or may have hit the maximum number of groups (512).
The known causes for the problem are as follows:
- The member’s default role or custom role has insufficient privileges to join a shared update group.
- The member has joined (both as owner, and as a group member) the maximum number of groups (512).
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, use one of the following options to resolve the issue.
Only an organization's administrator can perform the following workflows.
Update the member’s role to enable the privilege to join a shared update group
The member remains in the group after reverting to the originally assigned role (Viewer or Data Editor).
Create a new group without update capabilities
Delete the existing group, and create a new group without update capabilities for members with insufficient privileges.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online, and click Groups > My Groups.
- Browse to the desired group, click Delete Group, and click Delete.
If delete protection is enabled, refer to ArcGIS Online: Delete your group to delete the group.
- On the My Groups tab, click Create group. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Create a group for more information.
- In Group Details on the Create New Group page, under What items in the group can its members update?, select Only their own items, and click Create Group.
- On the group page, on the Overview tab, click Invite users to invite the member without the privileges to create, update, and delete content. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Manage group membership and roles for more information.
Remove the member from an existing group to join a new group
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online, and click Organization > Members.
- In the search panel, type the member’s name.
- In the member list, click the member’s name.
- In the member’s profile pop-up, under Groups, click View all.
- On the <Member’s name> - Groups page, click Remove Member From Group to remove the member from any existing group.
- Invite the member to the new group. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Manage group membership and roles for more information.