Problem: Shapefile features disappear when zooming or panning in ArcMap
When zooming or panning in a shapefile in ArcMap, some features disappear.
The shapefile's spatial index is stale or corrupt.
Before taking these steps, ensure that the shapefile is backed up.
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the folder where the shapefile is stored.
- Look for two files with SBX and SBN extensions. If the shapefile is called PARCELS, the files that form the spatial index will be PARCELS.SBN and PARCELS.SBX.
- Delete the two files. If there is only one file, delete it.
- Open ArcMap and try panning and zooming to see if the problem is resolved.
- If deleting the spatial index fixed the problem of features disappearing, a new spatial index can then be created in ArcCatalog: How To: Build a spatial index for a shapefile
Article ID: 000006099
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 10, 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 10, 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 10, 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1