Problem: Features from a feature class do not display when zooming or panning in layout view
Features from a feature class do not display when zooming or panning in the layout view.
The spatial index of the feature class is corrupt.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve the problem, rebuild the spatial index.
Warning: Backup a copy of the feature class before attempting any of these steps.
Note: Spatial indexes cannot be rebuilt for personal geodatabase feature classes.
- Open ArcCatalog.
- Navigate to the affected feature class.
- Right-click the feature class and click Properties.
- In the Feature Class Properties dialog box, click the Indexes tab. Find the section that reads Spatial Index.
- Click Delete in the Spatial Index section.
- Click Apply.
- Click Recalculate in the Spatial Index section.
- Press OK or Apply. The features now stay in view when panning or zooming on the map.
- Problem: Shapefile features disappear when zooming or panning in ArcMap
- ArcMap: Spatial indexes in the geodatabase
- ArcMap: An overview of the Indexes toolset
Last Published: 3/10/2021
Article ID: 000011225