Error: Unable to delete member: <user name>. Member must not own items or groups
When deleting a member from a portal, the following error message is returned:
Error: Unable to delete member: <user name>. Member must not own items or groups.
The member is an owner of items or groups in the portal. In some instances, the items owned by the member may not be displayed on the portal site, such as detached items.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
- Check for any remaining items or groups owned by the member in the ArcGIS Portal Directory:
- Log in to the ArcGIS Portal Directory. Refer to Portal for ArcGIS: ArcGIS Portal Directory for more information.
- Click Community > Users.
- Type the member name in the Search Text field. Click Search Users.
- Click the member from the search result.
- Click User Content. The list shows the content owned by the member.
- Change the ownership of any remaining items or groups to a different member. Refer to Portal for ArcGIS: Manage content or Portal for ArcGIS: Manage groups for more information.
Note: If the member owns any detached items, delete them by referring to Error: Unable to delete item for more information.
- Delete the user. Refer to Portal for ArcGIS: Delete member for more information.
Last Published: 10/15/2020
Article ID: 000024210
Software: Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1, 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5