Error: Unable to delete item
When attempting to delete detached items from Portal for ArcGIS the following error message is returned:
Error: Unable to delete item. <URL> may no longer be accessible.
This issue can occur if the URLs of the items hosted in Portal for ArcGIS are no longer valid when changes are made to Portal's configuration settings, along with un-federating and re-federating the Portal environment. The hosted items may still exist in My Content, but it may no longer be accessible by Portal web maps.
Solution or Workaround
In the event the detached items cannot be deleted, or if the error occurs, the following workaround allows for manual deletion of these items:
- Log in to Portal for ArcGIS > My Content.
- Open the Item Details page for the items to be deleted
- Note the Item ID from the URL for the detached item(s).
Note: The Item ID appears as a long alphanumeric code.
- Stop the Portal for ArcGIS service.
- Navigate to the portal content directory and find the item folder containing the detached item using the Item ID noted in Step 3.
Note: The portal content directory is commonly found at: <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>/arcgis/portal/usr/arcgisportal/content
- Delete the folder containing the detached items.
- Restart the Portal for ArcGIS service.
- Log in to Portal for ArcGIS to confirm the deletion of the detached item(s).
Note: If the problem persists, reindex Portal for ArcGIS, and delete the item. Refer to ArcGIS REST API: Reindex for more information.
- ArcGIS Server: Services and portal items
- Portal for ArcGIS: Changing the portal content directory
- Esri Community: Force Delete an Item in Portal for ArcGIS
Last Published: 3/30/2021
Article ID: 000016345