Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found
Attempting to open ArcMap fails, returning the following error message:
Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found.
This error can happen due to the following known causes:
- The application is being accessed remotely via an RDP client, and is connecting by default to a built-in Intel video card, and not the video card used by ArcMap.
- The graphics card driver is not up-to-date.
- Conflicting graphic cards in the machine.
- Missing or corrupted system files.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, follow one of the following solutions to resolve the error.
Note: While troubleshooting video drivers and graphic cards is beyond Esri Support Service's scope of support, the following solutions have been known to resolve the problem. Note that Esri recommends an IT department be involved in these steps to approve changes to the computer.
The RDP client is using a default Intel video card
See Knowledge Base article 000023067: Problem: LoadLibrary fails to load with error 126 or error 87 when working remotely over RDP
The graphics card driver is not up-to-date
Check and update the graphics card driver to the latest version.
Conflicting graphic cards in the machine
Disable the one of the graphic cards and relaunch ArcMap. Refer to Problem: Graphics card conflict may cause ArcMap to crash for steps to perform this.
Missing or corrupted system files
Perform a system file checker scan and repair the corrupted items. Refer to Windows support: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files for steps to perform this.
- ArcGIS Desktop: ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 system requirements
- Error: LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect
- Problem: LoadLibrary fails to load with error 126 or error 87 when working remotely over RDP