FAQ: What widgets in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS can be configured to display information about the web app?
What widgets in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS can be configured to display information about the web app?
In Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, configure the About or Splash widgets to display guides or information about the web app. This is important when a web app is used to reach a much wider audience who may not be familiar with the interface or the objective of the web app. This article lists some suggestions on the types of information that can be displayed in the About window or on the splash screen.
Note: Refer to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Live Sites Showcase to view a gallery of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS public web apps.
The About widget
The About widget creates content that displays in the widget. Refer to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: About widget for more information on how to configure the widget. The About widget in a web app can be used to:
- Explain the objective or background information of the web app. For example, the About window in the Urban Heat Risk Explorer App web app prepared by The Trust for Public Land.
- Provide instructions or an overview on how to use or interact in the web app. For example, the About window in the NAIP 2015 Imagery Feedback web app prepared by The National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP), and the Denver Manufacturing Map Tool web app prepared by the City of Denver.
The Splash widget
The Splash widget creates content displayed on a splash screen. This screen opens before users interact with the web app. Refer to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Splash widget for more information on configuring the splash screen. The Splash widget in a web app can be used to:
- Provide links to external web pages that include additional information such as explanation on tools, browser requirements, and contact information. For example, the splash screen in the Maricoppa County Assessor's Parcel Viewer web app created by the Maricoppa County, Arizona.
- Provide a concise summary of the type of information included in the web app. For example, the splash screen in the Winter Cost Calculation web app created by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
- Add disclaimers or comments on the data in use. For example, the splash screen in the Shawnee County, KS Property Search web app created by Shawnee County, Kansas.
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: About widget
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Splash widget
- How To: Add a disclaimer to a web map
Last Published: 2/10/2020
Article ID: 000022565
Software: ArcGIS Web AppBuilder Current