How To: Change the highway shield marker symbol colors in ArcGIS Pro
A highway shield is a sign used to indicate the route number of a highway. It varies in shape and color with a route number enclosed. In some instances, the colors of the highway shield are changed to accommodate current law enforcements. However, in ArcGIS Pro, there is no option to change the colors.
As a workaround, follow the instructions described below:
- In ArcGIS Pro, select the desired highway shield as a point symbol.
Note: Ensure the labels of the layer are enabled. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Turn on labels for more information.
- In the Contents pane, right-click the desired layer and select Labeling Properties.
- In the Label Class pane,click the Symbol tab, and expand the Callout drop-down menu. Select Point symbol.
- Click the Labelling tab, and select the desired shield symbol in the Text Symbol Style group. In this example, Shield 1 is selected.
- Navigate to the Catalog pane, expand the Styles drop-down menu, and right-click ArcGIS 2D. Select Manage.
- On the Catalog tab, scroll to and right-click the same type of shield symbol as in step 1, and select Copy.
- Navigate to the Catalog pane and on the Project tab, right-click Styles. Select New > New Style.
- In the Create a new style dialog box, type the desired name for the new style, and click Save to save the new style in the Project folder.
- Right-click the new style created in step 5, and select Paste to paste the highway shield symbol in the new style.
- Right-click the new style again, and select Manage.
- Click the pasted highway shield symbol on the Catalog tab. The description and properties of the shield symbol are displayed on the right pane.
- In the right pane, navigate to Properties, click the Layers icon, and scroll to the Appearance settings.
Note: Ensure the layers are unlocked. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Color locking for more information.
- Modify the color of the shield symbol.
- Select a layer of the symbol, and change the color of the layer to the desired color.
- Click Apply.
Note: Click OK when prompted to save the setting.
- Use the customized shield symbol for the map.
- Close the Catalog tab, and navigate to the Label Class pane.
- Click the Point symbol drop-down list, and select More point symbols.
- Select the new customized shield, and click OK.
- Click Apply in the Label Class pane to view the changes.
- ArcGIS Pro: Text symbols
- ArcGIS Pro: Marker symbol layers
- ArcGIS Pro: Styles
- How To: Label highways with a shield marker containing the highway number in ArcGIS Pro
- How To: Label interstate highways with a shield marker containing the highway number in ArcMap
Last Published: 10/23/2019
Article ID: 000021556
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2, 2.4.1, 2.4, 2.3.3, 2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.3, 2.2.4, 2.2.3, 2.2.2, 2.2.1, 2.2