Problem: Media fails to display in the Survey123 for ArcGIS web app and mobile app
It might be useful to insert media such as audio and images for better visualization in a survey form. However, in some instances, the media in the survey form fails to display in the Survey123 web app and mobile app after the form is published from Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS.
The image below shows an incomplete survey form opened in the Survey123 web app. The images fail to display, and the audio returns an error message, "Invalid Source".
This issue occurs if there are incorrect letter cases for file names in the media fields. Survey123 is case sensitive. In the XLSForm spreadsheet, the media fields must capture the file names and file extensions with the same letter case stated in the properties of the media files.
For example, in the spreadsheet below, the file extension for Bird is .jpg (lowercase) instead of .JPG, and for Wildlife the file extension is .Mp3 (M is uppercase) instead of .mp3. Meanwhile, the letter J for jellyfish is in lowercase instead of uppercase (Jellyfish).
Solution or Workaround
To resolve the issue, insert the correct file names and file extensions in the media fields.
- In the media folder, right-click the audio or image, and select Properties.
- In the General tab, under Type of file, note the file extension letter case (uppercase or lowercase). Click OK.
- In Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS, open the XLSForm spreadsheet.
- In the media::audio and media::image columns, insert the correct file names or file extensions according to the letter case of the media files.
- Republish the survey and open the survey form in the Survey123 web app and mobile app.
The image below shows the survey form after renaming the file names and file extensions correctly. The Bird and Jellyfish images, and Wildlife audio are displayed successfully in the Survey123 for ArcGIS web app.
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: Media
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: XLSForm essentials
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: Use images in your survey
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: Publish your survey
- Problem: An image appears on the form preview in the Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS application but does not appear on the published survey form