How To: Convert polyline features to polygon features with an ArcGIS Desktop Basic license
Polyline features can be converted to polygon features using different geoprocessing tools depending on the type of ArcGIS license. The Feature to Polygon tool is available with the Advanced ArcGIS Desktop license while the Construct Polygons tool is available with both the ArcGIS Desktop Advanced and Standard license. The Convert Polylines To Polygon tool is available with the Production Mapping license. With an ArcGIS Desktop Basic license, use the Merge tool and the Auto-Complete Polygon tool to convert polyline features to polygon features.
The image below shows a polyline feature and its attribute table.
To convert a polyline feature to a polygon feature with an ArcGIS Desktop Basic license, follow the instructions below:
- In ArcMap, create an empty polygon feature class from the desired file geodatabase. Refer to ArcMap: Create a feature class in a database in ArcMap for steps to do this.
- Click the Editor drop-down and click Start Editing.
- Click the Select tool and select the polyline feature to be converted to a polygon feature.
- Click the Editor drop-down again and select Merge.
- In the Merge dialog box, select the polyline feature to be merged and click OK.
- Click the Create Features dialog box and select the polygon feature created in step 1. Select the Auto Complete Polygon tool under the Construction Tools section.
- Right-click any part of the polyline feature and select Replace Sketch to highlight the whole polyline feature.
- Right-click the polyline feature again and click Finish Sketch to end the sketch.
- Click Save Edits to save the newly created polygon feature and end the edit session.
- ArcMap: Creating polygons from polylines
- ArcMap: Creating adjoining polygons
- ArcMap: Constructing polygons from the shapes of other features
- ArcMap: Feature to Polygon
- ArcMap: Replacing a feature's geometry with an entirely new shape
- Problem: Auto-Complete Polygon tool fails to create a new feature