How To: Configure Windows to use TLS 1.2 for applications that use the .NET4 Framework
As part of improving ArcGIS Online security, Esri requires TLS 1.2 connections for ArcGIS Online services. Action is necessary to ensure continued access to these services.
The steps provided describe how to set the Windows operating system to use TLS 1.2. This enables all applications on the system that depend on the Microsoft .NET4 Framework to use TLS 1.2. This is an operating system-level change and should only be done once. If you have already used these instructions and created the Windows Registry keys that enable TLS 1.2 on Windows for another Esri product, it is not necessary to repeat these steps.
This is an optional method for configuring ArcGIS applications to use TLS 1.2 when a product upgrade to explicitly support TLS 1.2 is not available or cannot be applied. The recommended solution is to upgrade to a product version that supports TLS 1.2.
For information, see the Esri Support TLS page. Consider your situation carefully when deciding which approach to use – Esri has certified that setting the .NET environment to enable TLS 1.2 will not cause problems with ArcGIS; however, this may impact other .NET applications by changing their default TLS behavior.
If the system uses .NET Version 3.5.1, and it is not feasible to install .NET4, see the following article for steps to enable TLS 1.2: How To: Configure Windows to use TLS 1.2 for applications that use the .NET 3.5.1 Framework.
Caution: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary.
- Ensure Microsoft .NET4 is installed.
See How to: Determine which .NET Framework versions are installed
- If necessary, install .NET4 from the Microsoft Download Center: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 (Web Installer).
- Download and extract the following .zip file: TLS_NET4.zip.
- Extract the file, TLS_NET4.reg, and open the file to create the appropriate Windows Registry keys.
- Test your TLS 1.2 connection to ArcGIS Online.
- Esri Software Products Affected by TLS 1.2 Implementation
- Microsoft Help: How to: Determine which .NET Framework versions are installed
- How To: Configure Windows to use TLS 1.2 for applications that use the .NET 3.5.1 Framework
- Esri Support TLS Page
- FAQs: The ArcGIS Platform & TLS 1.2
Last Published: 11/14/2018
Article ID: 000019401