How To: Create and apply a custom map template
A map template can contain a variety of common page layouts or a basemap layer. Creating a map template in ArcMap enables users to reuse and standardize the layouts in multiple map documents.
Upon opening ArcMap, the ‘ArcMap – Getting Started’ dialog box prompts the user to select a template. The Existing Maps section consists of previously saved map documents; while the New Maps section contains Templates provided by Esri and My Templates, which are custom templates created by users. If no custom template had been created before, a Blank Map is available for users to create a map document from scratch.
The following workflow describes how to create and apply a custom map template in ArcMap:
- Create a layout of choice.
- Open ArcMap and select a template from the ArcMap – Getting Started dialog box.
- Switch to the Layout view.
- Create the layout of choice by selecting features to add from the Insert command in the Main Menu.
The image below is a sample output of a created layout to be saved as a map template.
- Save the created layout as an ArcMap Document (.mxd) in the desired location, and close ArcMap.
- Create a map template based on the ArcMap Document created in Step 1.
- Copy the ArcMap Document created in Step 1.
- Locate the Templates folder within the AppData folder. An example of the folder path is as follows:
- Paste the copied ArcMap Document in the Templates folder.
Note: The AppData folder is a hidden folder by default. Users can show the hidden folder by selecting the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option in the Folder Options window.
- Open ArcMap.
- Apply the newly created map template.
- Navigate to the New Maps option in the ArcMap - Getting Started dialog box.
- Select My Templates and choose the recently created custom map template.
- Click OK.
- How To: Save a custom map template
- Problem: Map templates are missing in ArcMap
- ArcGIS Help: Using map templates
- ArcGIS Help: Fundamentals of saving your customizations
Last Published: 8/9/2019
Article ID: 000018084