Problem: The Sign In and ArcGIS Online options are inactive on the File menu
Hosted feature services cannot be published from ArcMap because the Sign In and ArcGIS Online options when clicking on the File menu are inactive. The Sign In option allows users to log in to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap, and the ArcGIS Online option allows users to access data and maps uploaded to ArcGIS Online.
- The ArcGIS Connection Utility is disconnected because the ArcGIS Connection Properties is set to 'Never check'. This setting allows ArcGIS Desktop to check for ArcGIS Online's availability. A globe icon symbolizes a good connection; a globe icon with a red 'X' symbolizes a bad connection.
- ArcMap is referencing an incorrect ArcGIS Online connection. In ArcGIS Administrator, the default ArcGIS Online connection (www.arcgis.com) is referenced instead of the organizational domain.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the workarounds listed below to solve the issue.
Re-establish the ArcGIS Connection Utility
- Open ArcMap. Click the Show hidden icons button on the Windows taskbar
- Locate the disconnected ArcGIS Connection globe icon on the taskbar.
- Right-click the ArcGIS Connection icon and click ‘Properties…’.
Note: The ArcGIS Connection icon only displays after launching ArcMap.
- In the ArcGIS Connection Properties dialog box, under Connection Test Frequency, select the Always check at the start of a session option, and click OK.
- The ArcGIS Connection Utility is now connected. Hover the cursor over the ArcGIS Connection icon to check the status.
Add the ArcGIS Online organizational domain in ArcGIS Administrator
Refer to ArcMap: Manage ArcMap portal connections for steps to add the organizational domain in ArcGIS Administrator.
- ArcMap: Manage ArcMap portal connections
- ArcMap: Signing in to ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS Desktop applications
- GeoNet: Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap
- FAQ: How do I manage ArcGIS connections to online resources?
Last Published: 3/10/2021
Article ID: 000013176
Software: ArcGIS Online 8.3