Problem: Publishing an Excel file to ArcGIS Online generates an empty hosted feature layer
When publishing an Excel file with coordinate information to ArcGIS Online, fields from the original dataset is available but the attribute information is not populated. The message, ‘No Data Found’ is displayed when viewing the hosted feature layer’s attribute table in Map Viewer Classic or on its item details page’s Data tab.
In the attribute table in Map Viewer Classic
On the item details page’s Data tab
There are instances where the hosted feature layer’s data is inaccessible and the following error messages are returned consecutively when accessing its item details page.
Error: There was an error.
- The attribute information is empty when the latitude and longitude coordinate information is written in an unsupported format.
- The hosted feature layer’s data is inaccessible when the latitude and longitude coordinate information is incorrect.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the following options to resolve the issue.
- Ensure the latitude and longitude coordinate information is in decimal degrees and ranges from -90 to 90 for latitude and -180 to 180 for longitude.
- Convert the Excel file format to a comma-separated values (CSV) text file (.csv) format before uploading it to ArcGIS Online.
Note: When publishing a CSV file with coordinate information as a hosted feature layer, attribute information of other fields in the file is populated in ArcGIS Online even when the latitude and longitude coordinate information is in an unsupported format, or does not range from -90 to 90 for latitude and -180 to 180 for longitude. However, the hosted feature layer’s features are not displayed on a web map.
- Problem: Unable to publish a hosted feature layer using an Excel file to ArcGIS Online
- Problem: Unable to upload an Excel file in ArcGIS Online
- Problem: Generic errors from uploading and published CSV files as hosted feature layers
- Problem: Unable to add a CSV file from Dropbox in ArcGIS Online
- ArcGIS Blog: Add spreadsheet data to ArcGIS Online
- ArcGIS Blog: Excel Tips for ArcGIS Online
Last Published: 5/18/2022
Article ID: 000027684
Software: ArcGIS Online Current