Patches and updates
ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 RPF and Memory Management for Large Raster Data Patch
IMPORTANT NOTE - If you use either the Leica Geosystems Image Analysis extension or the Stereo Analyst extension, you must install the Leica Geosystems Patch 'ArcGIS Extensions - Service Pack 3' prior to installing this Patch. Not doing so may cause a corrupted system due to the Leica Geosystems Image Analysis and Stereo Analyst extensions installing a different version of underlying core raster software libraries.
To install 'ArcGIS Extensions - Service Pack 3'; select 'ESRI Extensions' from the 'Version' drop down list, select 'Windows' from the 'Platform' drop down list and click Locate. Next, click the + sign next to ArcGIS Extensions - Service Pack 3 to expand it and follow the installation instructions to apply the Patch.
ESRI® announces the ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 RPF Military Raster Format and Memory Management for Large Raster Data Patch. This Patch addresses issues with the ArcGIS core raster functionality. It deals specifically with the issues listed below under Issues Addressed with this Patch.
We recommend that all ArcGIS 8.3 customers, who use RPF or Large Raster Data, download and install this Patch at their earliest convenience to ensure the highest quality experience when working with ArcGIS Desktop 8.3.
- CQ00216429 - ArcMap display and raster loading issues for RPF/DTED raster formats and floating point cell sizes.
- The four main issues are:
- Loading RPF raster data (DTED, CIB, CADRG) to ArcSDE has issues with positional accuracy of the pixels (off by 1/2 pixel).
- Metadata extent versus actual display location differed with regards to loaded RPF raster data.
- ArcObjects was not returning the extent which matches the edges of the RPF raster data.
- Large raster datasets (ArcSDE or file-based data) would display as black raster datasets due to memory allocation errors. This issue allows users of AirPhotoUSA imagery (who also have access to their proprietary raster format DLL) to view their proprietary raster datasets within ArcGIS Desktop products. Previously, due to memory allocation errors, these rasters would display as all black.
- Under the ArcGIS Desktop installation arcexe83\bin folder:
- Under the ArcGIS Desktop installation arcexe83\raster\bin\ntx86 folder:
- Under the ArcGIS Desktop installation arcexe83\usr\lib\ntx86\rasterformats folder:
Since this Patch replaces an ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 Service Pack 3 file, ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 Service Pack 3 must be installed before you can install this Patch.
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS Desktop, and that no one is using ArcGIS Desktop.
- Download ArcGIS-83-RPF-Patch.exe (3 MB) to a location other than your ArcGIS Desktop installation location.
- Double-click the setup file to start the install process.
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen.
NOTE: If you have installed client setups from a shared Network Administrative ArcGIS Desktop setup, this Patch must be applied to all client installations.
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
- UPDATE 04/27/04 - If you use either the Leica Geosystems Image Analysis extension or the Stereo Analyst extension, do not apply this Patch to your ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 installation. Doing so may cause a corrupted system due to the Leica Geosystems Image Analysis and Stereo Analyst extensions installing a different version of underlying core raster software libraries.
A secondary patch will be made available from Leica Geosystems in June of 2004, which will resolve this current incompatibility. We will post a link to the patch location once it becomes available.
- UPDATE 10/18/04 - The secondary Patch from Leica Geosystems is now available. Please see IMPORTANT NOTE section above for details.
To check for the presence of Quick Fixes, examine the unique identification information by a (right click, properties, version tab) action under Explorer. With only a few exceptions, all files modified as part of a QFE distribution can be uniquely identified in this manner. Under Windows 2000, select 'Product Version' under the 'Item name' column to see the unique identifier. The identification string for this Patch should read:
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 909.793.3774, if you have any difficulty installing this Patch. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.