Patches and updates
ArcGIS 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 Desktop Layer Packaging Patch
ESRI® announces the ArcGIS 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 Desktop Layer Packaging Patch. This patch addresses an issue that prevented users from being able to unpack/open ArcGIS 10 SP1 layer packages (*.lpk files) in ArcGIS 9.3.1. Without this patch, if you try to open a layer package that was created with 10.0 SP1 you will see this message:
“The version of this package is not supported. You must install a newer ArcGIS Filehandler to read this package.”
This patch is required for 9.3.1 ArcGIS users who want to consume layer packages created in ArcGIS 10 SP1 Desktop. The compression technology used by ArcGIS layer packages was upgraded in ArcGIS 10 SP1 to remove certain internationalization and size limitations. As a result the ArcGISFilehandler module that handles unpacking and opening of layer packages in 9.3.1 also needed to be upgraded to support the new compression technology side by side with the legacy compression mechanism. It deals specifically with the issues listed below under Issues Addressed with this Patch.
- NIM062359 - 9.3.1 SP2 users can't open a layer package created with 10.0 SP1. When they try they get the error message, “The version of this package is not supported. You must install a newer ArcGIS Filehandler to read this package.”
Description: The ArcGISFilehandler in this patch has been updated to handle ArcGIS 10 SP1 layer packages. ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2 users can update existing ArcGISFilehandler by downloading and applying this patch. The updated ArcGISFilehandler will allow users to open layer packages created in the new format.
- NIM059009 - In 9.3.1 SP2 double-clicking a map document (MXD file) in Windows Explorer does not open it in a new ArcMap session. The 9.3.1 SP2 ArcGISFileHandler.exe sends new documents you launch to the running ArcMap instance instead of opening a new ArcMap instance. This issue exists solely in 9.3.1 SP2.
- Under the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin folder:
- ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 must be installed before you can install this patch.
- Download the appropriate file to a location other than your ArcGIS installation location.
Desktop Layer Packaging Patch ArcGIS-DT-931SP2-Layer-Packaging-Patch.msp
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS installation location, and that no one is using ArcGIS.
- Double-click ArcGIS-DT-931SP2-Layer-Packaging-Patch.msp to start the install process.
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen.
- If you have installed client setups from a shared Network Administrative ArcGIS Desktop setup, this patch must be applied to all client installations.
- System Administrators - A technical paper is available that discusses the enterprise deployment of ArcGIS 9.3 setups using Microsoft® Systems Management Server (SMS) and Group Policy, including additional system requirements, suggestions, known issues, and Microsoft Software Installation (MSI) command line parameters. Deployment in a lockdown environment is also covered.
ArcGIS 9.3 Enterprise Deployment.
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this patch will be posted here.
To find out what ArcGIS products are currently installed on your machine, download the PatchFinder931.exe utility and run it from your local machine.
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this Service Pack. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.