In Portal for ArcGIS, attempts to publish as a feature layer using a template via the New Item option fail, and return the following error message:
There was an error while adding this item.
The following are the known causes of this issue:
- The ArcGIS Web Adaptor URL is configured with an internal Domain Name System (DNS) alias.
- The machine installed with Portal for ArcGIS has insufficient disk space to add new items.
- The organization member’s default role or custom role has insufficient privileges to publish hosted feature layers in Portal for ArcGIS.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, use one of the following options to resolve the issue.
Configure the ArcGIS Web Adaptor URL with an external DNS alias
In Portal for ArcGIS, edit the existing ArcGIS Web Adaptor URL and replace the internal DNS alias with an external DNS alias. Refer to How To: Edit the Web Adaptor URL for Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server for more information.
Increase the disk space of the Portal for ArcGIS machine
Contact the organization's IT department to increase the disk space of the ArcGIS Data Store machine before publishing the hosted feature layer. Refer to ArcGIS Enterprise: Hardware requirements for more information.
Update the member’s default role or custom role to enable the privilege to publish hosted feature layers
Only a default administrator role or a custom role with administrative privileges can perform the following workflows.
- Change the member’s role to a default role, such as Publisher or Administrator, with the privilege to publish hosted feature layers. Refer to Portal for ArcGIS: Change member roles for more information.
- Update the member’s custom role to enable the 'Publish hosted feature layers' option in the 'General privileges' settings. Refer to Portal for ArcGIS: Configure member roles for more information.