This article refers to ArcGIS Desktop versions 10 and later. For ArcGIS 9.3.1 and earlier, please refer to knowledgebase article 000004578. For ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 and earlier, see also knowledgebase article 000014623.
When opening an attribute table, or making changes to the values within, the following error message may be returned:
Could not load data from data source. If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data.
There are several causes associated with the issue:
- The feature class present inside a personal geodatabase exceeds the size limit of 2 GB
- An incorrect version of SQL Server Native Client is used
- Username authentication configuration
- The name for the field, shapefile, or table begins with a number, or contains a space or a special character
- Poor network connectivity
Solution or Workaround
There are several options to resolve this issue.
- If the feature class exceeds 2 GB:
- Create a new file geodatabase, right-click the desired folder > New > File Geodatabase.
- Copy the feature dataset from the personal geodatabase to a new file geodatabase.
- If an incorrect SQL Server Native Client version is used:
- Username authentication configuration:
- Object name begins with a number, contains a space, or contains a special character:
Refer to the following Knowledge Base article: Loading Table Data. Could not load data from the data source