ArcGIS Server 9.1 DCOM Patch for Windows XP SP 2, Windows 2003 Server SP1
This patch addresses the problem of remote connections to the ArcGIS Server SOM (via any ArcGIS Server client including ArcCatalog) failing with the message “GIS Server is not running on machine X” after upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.Descripción
- Issues Addressed with this Patch
- Files Installed in this Patch
- Installing this Patch
- Patch Updates
- How to identify which Patch is installed
- Getting Help
ESRI® announces the ArcGIS Server 9.1 DCOM Patch for Windows XP SP 2, Windows
2003 Server SP1. This patch addresses the problem of remote connections to the
ArcGIS Server SOM (via any ArcGIS Server client including ArcCatalog) failing
with the message GIS Server is not running on machine X after upgrading
to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. It deals
specifically with the issue listed below under Issues Addressed
with this Patch.
All ArcGIS Server 9.1 users who have applied the Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 Server SP1 are required to apply this patch. Users will not be able to access the ArcGIS Server from a remote machine (using ArcCatalog or any other client) without this patch.
CQ00272889 - Update serverpostinstall to support the new security features in
Windows XP SP2.
The main issue is:
- After upgrading to Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 Server SP1, remote connections
to the ArcGIS Server SOM running on machine X (via any ArcGIS Server client
including ArcCatalog) fail with the message GIS Server is not running
on machine X.
Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 XP1 implement new DCOM communication restrictions that prevent users from launching or activating remote COM servers unless explicitly granted permission to do so. The ArcSOM process is a COM server and as such, must be configured to grant remote launch and activation privileges to users in the agsadmin and agsusers groups.
- Under the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin folder:
ArcGIS Server 9.1 must be installed before you can install this Patch.
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS Server installation location, and that the ArcGIS Server Object Manager System Service has been stopped.
- Download ArcGIS-Server-91-DCOM-Patch.exe
to a location other than your ArcGIS Server installation location.
- Double-click the setup file to start the install process.
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen.
- After the patch has successfully been applied, you must run the ArcGIS Server Post Installation for the change to take effect. The Post Installation is available from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Server > ArcGIS Server Post Installation.
- Log out of and back into your Windows session to activate the new security settings.
NOTE: This Patch must be applied to the Server Object Manager and all
Server Object Container machines in your ArcGIS Server configuration. You must
first apply the patch to each remote Server Object Container machine, then apply
the patch to the Server Object Manager machine. If a Server Object Container
and a Server Object Manager exist on the same machine you only need to install
the patch and run the post install once on that machine.
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
To check for the presence of a Patch, for each file examine the unique identification information provided (right click, properties, version tab, item name, QFE Version). With only a few exceptions, all files modified as part of a Patch distribution can be uniquely identified in this manner. The identification string for this Patch should read:
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 909.793.3774, if you have any difficulty installing this Patch. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.