Patches and updates
Building Geodatabases with CASE Tools
ESRI supports Rational Rose 2002 and 2001A. We currently have no plans to support the recent version of Rational Software Architect and Rational Software Modeler.
For UML/XMI compatibility, Microsoft Visio 2007 Professional can be used as a CASE tool for geodatabase schema design. Microsoft Visio 2007 Service Pack 2 is required to complete the process. For further information, see the article on Can Microsoft Visio 2007 be used as a CASE tool for geodatabase schema design?
When you're finished creating a geodatabase, you'll have generated feature datasets, feature classes, tables, and other items from the design with ArcCatalog.Useful Links:
- Geodatabase XRay Tools for GIS Design and Documentation. Search for "XRay" in ArcScripts
- Geodatabase Diagrammer (GDB Diagrammer) for documenting your geodatabase design.
Information on GDB Diagrammer and search for “Geodatabase Diagrammer” in ArcScripts
- ArcGIS Diagrammer 9.2 for creating, editing, or analyzing geodatabase schema.
Blog on ArcGIS Diagrammer 9.2 and search for “ArcGIS Diagrammer” in ArcScripts
Desktop Help links for Case Tools:
- Introduction to UML
- Geodatabase Design Steps
- A note about the use of UML for geodatabase design
- Copying the schema of a geodatabase
- Designing Geodatabases with Rational Rose - ZIP - 933 kb
- Introduction to CASE Tools - ZIP - 597 kb
- ArcInfo UML Model Template - ZIP - 324 kb
- CASE Tools Tutorial - ZIP - 1125 kb
- Designing Geodatabases With Visio - ZIP - 2176 kb
- CASE Tools Tutorial Sample Data - ZIP - 2058 kb
- Visio 2003 professional XMIExport Readme file - ZIP - 4 kb