Patches and updates
ArcGIS Desktop Metadata Patch
ESRI® announces the ArcGIS Desktop Metadata Patch. This patch addresses problems viewing and exporting metadata that were introduced by a Microsoft security update. This problem specifically applies to anyone using ArcGIS 9.2 SP5 or earlier on Vista SP1, Windows 2008, or any other Microsoft operating system on which the November 2008 XML Core Security Update for KB955069 has been installed. Anyone who uses metadata with an affected version of ArcGIS should download and install this patch.
Issues Addressed with this Patch
- NIM032480 - You can't view or export metadata in ArcCatalog using Vista with Service Pack 1, Windows 2008, or any other Microsoft operating system on which the XML Core Security Update (KB955069) has been installed if you are using ArcGIS 9.2 SP5 or any earlier release
Viewing metadata in ArcCatalog displays the error: "WARNING! Not implemented". Exporting metadata in ArcCatalog using any of the "FGDC CSDGM" exporters or the "HTML" exporter does not work. The USGS MP Metadata Translator geoprocessing tool does not work. Other metadata operations in ArcCatalog and other metadata geoprocessing tools work correctly even though the metadata cannot be viewed.
Files Installed in this Patch
- Under the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin folder:
Installing this Patch
ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 Service Pack 4 or ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 Service Pack 5 must be installed before you can install this Patch.
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS Desktop installation location, and that no one is using ArcGIS Desktop.
- Download ArcGIS-92sp45-Metadata-Patch.EXE to a location other than your ArcGIS Desktop installation location.
- Double-click the setup file to start the install process.
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen.
NOTE: If you have installed client setups from a shared Network Administrative ArcGIS Desktop setup, this Patch must be applied to all client installations.
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
How to identify which Patch is installed
To check for the presence of a Patch, for each file examine the File version information (right click, properties, version tab). With only a few exceptions, all files modified as part of a Patch distribution can be uniquely identified in this manner. The File version for this Patch should read:
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this Service Pack. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App